prEUgovor coalition: Monitoring of the Chapters 23 and 24
Civil society organizations gathered in May 2013 in coalition prEUgovor based on the expertise built through a long-standing specialization in specific areas covered by Chapters 23 (Judiciary and fundamental rights) and 24 (Justice, freedom and security). Coalition prEUgovor was formed from the need for the synergy of potential and knowledge of these CSOs in order to achieve faster, more efficient and successful implementation of EU values and standards in Serbia.
Negotiating Team for Accession of the Republic of Serbia to the European Union (Chapter 23: Judiciary and Fundamental Rights)
Negotiating Team for Accession of the Republic of Serbia to the European Union (Chapter 24: Justice, Freedom and Security)
In accordance with its mission, objectives and areas of expertise of each member organization, coalition prEUgovor will carry out the following activities during the period of negotiations between Serbia and EU:
1) Develop methodology, criteria, indicators and techniques for monitoring policies and processes within Chapters 23 and 24;
2) Formulate recommendations and monitor the progress of the negotiations using a common methodology and format of the report in the areas of Chapter 23 and 24;
3) Work towards achieving elementary preconditions for participation prEUgovor coalition and other civil society organizations (CSOs) in the process of European integration, which is determined by negotiations between Serbia for EU membership;
4) Offer specific proposals for amendments to the law in the fields covered by the Chapters 23 and 24, and monitor the implementation of the newly adopted legislation;
5) Ensure the authentic sources of information in the process of Serbia’s accession to the EU;
6) Conduct advocacy activities, present the findings of the analysis and recommendations, ask for support of key stakeholders and inform the public about the negative consequences of the lack of inclusion of NGOs in the negotiation process;
7) Define and implement a communication strategy both within the coalition and in communication with other actors in Serbia and the EU;
8) Improve knowledge of coalition members of the EU accession process, content of negotiation chapters and ways of representation of views and recommendations of the coalition.
PREUGOVOR ALARM is the coalition’s key product; it’s a regular, semi-annual independent report on the progress of Serbia in chapters 23 and 24. The latest report (April 2019) contains the prEUgovor coalition’s assessment of the political criteria for the EU accession process and the fulfilment of criteria for selected policy areas from Chapters 23 and 24 for the period October 2018 – March 2019. The key finding is that recent developments can hardly be assessed as positive; moreover, it seems that the overall tendencies in the monitored fields show worrying and in some cases alarming signals.
The Institutional Barometer is a pioneering attempt of the prEUgovor coalition to monitor the measurable effects of the reforms in the European integration process of the Republic of Serbia. It analyses the work of six selected institutions whose competences fall under Chapter 23 (Justice and fundamental rights) and Chapter 24 (Justice, freedom and security). The selected six institutions are the Anticorruption Agency, the Internal Control Department of the Ministry of the Interior, the Commissariat for Refugees and Migrations, the Centre for Human Trafficking Victims Protection, the Commissioner for Protection of Equality and the Commissioner for Information of Public Importance and Personal Data Protection.
Serbia Progress Report in Chapters 23 and 24 (2017)
Serbia Progress Report in Chapters 23 and 24 (2018)